RAC Breakdown

All official club events
(VBOA, PVS, SCS, Trax, etc)

Forum rules

Only full club members are allowed to post in this section

RAC Breakdown

by bodgetastic » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:41 pm

Didnt really want to post this in an open Forum so hope its ok in hear

Lets say for example I have to take a car to London next week to get some work done, and for example due to a mapping issue it would get me a few miles but could damage the engine driving the whole way. Would it be a miss use of policy or innapropriate to say drive a few miles and then call out rac and get towed the rest of the way. I have Roadside/Recovery and at Home cover

This is how rac describe recovery..

Recovery.
– Recovery is available in the Territory.
– Recovery is only available to Members who already subscribe to Our Roadside service.
– We will provide the following service if We cannot get Your Vehicle repaired locally within a reasonable time:
Transportation of Your Vehicle to Your Home or a single address anywhere else in the Territory.– Transport for You and up to seven passengers to the above chosen destination (If there are more than five people this may require two separate Vehicles. An adult from the covered Vehicle must accompany any children (refers to any person under 16)).
The above Recovery service is also available should You be taken ill and cannot continue Your journey as You have no passengers who can drive the Vehicle. You will need to produce some form of medical certificate for this (In these cases, We will provide
service at Our discretion).
– Residents of Northern Ireland are entitled to be recovered from the Republic of Ireland.
What is not covered:
– Recovery must be arranged at the time of Breakdown and cannot be requested later.
– Recovery is only to one single destination.
– Breakdowns within a quarter of a mile of Your Home or place where the Vehicle is usually kept.
– The use of the Recovery service as a way to avoid repair costs.
– A second Recovery if:
a) the original fault has not been repaired properly by a party other than RAC;
b) We have advised You that it is a temporary repair; or
c) the desired destination cannot accept the Vehicle due to company opening hours or other restrictions.
If a second Recovery is required this service can be
provided but a charge will be made dependent on
the service required, time of day and distance. These
charges will be payable by credit/debit card prior to
the relevant service being provided.
– Unless specifically included in the Recovery cover
described above, all matters excluded under Roadside
More power than God
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Re: RAC Breakdown

by Fraz » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:30 pm

only problem is they will try to fix it at the road, if you can induce a problem that means it cant really be driven, then it will be taken by recovery ...and no need to give any explination of why you want it taken miles away from your home

only other downside is they will send out a van first to try and get it fixed, about 2 hours for that and then you have to wait on the recovery truck after that person reports that it needs recovery ...even when you tell them it needs recovery they still send the truck first
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by stevo turbo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:50 pm

ah i got told about that they will always look at it first but when i used them i could tell them the problem and just got a truck sent straight out to me to pick me up. my problems was a fuel leak from the injector leaking ontot the egr- "which could catch fire at any time" i think was the way i described my problem
Club Member
Club Member

by Fraz » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:59 pm

told them the timing belt was snapped and it cant be fixed at the side of the road, they still sent a man in a van

another time it was the immobiliser at fault and it was not going to be fixed..they sent a man in a van

Blowen radiator all cracked at the top and unless they have a new one it cant be fixed.....they sent a man in a van

guess you got lucky or I am just unlucky
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by v6 steve » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:56 pm

im with Fraz on this as most of you know iv spent a lot of time at the side of the road waiting for the AA/RAC man and they always send a man in a van 1st the last time i told the guy that i wasnt prepared to let him turn my engine over as i know the belt had slipped, he wasnt to happy but he wasnt going to take the responsibility if the engine went bang
I would say i had it booked in the garage to get the problem fixed and it just stopped on the way
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Phantom » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:58 pm

the last time I was recovered they sent a man in a van but he had a dolly in the back (all motorised, so a nifty piece of kit) so no need for a recovery vehicle, just pulled fuse 19 and hitched it up
Phantom