M5 Brake!!!!!

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by swchoi » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:40 am

My friend who drives a BMW M5 E39, and He recently changed his brakes to aftermarket ones, so he offered me his stock brakes discs and calipers, i know it can be very hard to do, but CAN THIS BE FITTED TO MY CALLY 16V?Mine is early 94 c20xe one.I hope this can be fitted to my car.
swchoi

by jaybv6 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:10 am

There are a lot of considerations you have to take into account in doing this.

The first is that the PCD on an M5 5x120 (5-stud) where as the C20XE is 4x100 (4-stud). Also the bore of the M5 is ø74.1 compared to your Cally which is ø56.6

So what does this mean. It means that the if the disc could be fitted a) it would need the holes drilling for your stud fitment and [img]/cool.gif[/img] as the hole in the centre of the disc is bigger than your C20XE it would not sit central unless you got someone to fabricate some some spiggot rings.

Even if you could get them on (Which I doubt, without major hassle and money) then the seconds consideration is the mounting of the Caliper and if it will clear the aloys wheel.

If you have the time and money to throw at the project then, it can be done but personally you would be better off buying a set of uprated bigger brakes.

Hope the above info helps, youm ay know the right people to get this sorted but then again modyfying cars was never gonna be easy :wink:
jaybv6

by swchoi » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:40 pm

Yer....I thought it would be hassle too. I only had little hope that I could get them on my cally. Anyway, what is your opinion about upgrading brake kit on 16v. Any brand? Any web site that I can have a look? I want more power to stop.
swchoi

Tyre Pressures

by leegsi » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:08 pm

<a href="http://www.vaux-md.net" target="_blank">www.vaux-md.net</a> do 284mm kits for £195 and 308 kits for abit more
leegsi

by jaybv6 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:15 am

Also Marky Mark used to sell brake upgrade kits. Dunno if he still does though.
jaybv6

by swchoi » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:37 am

what is it all about drilled hole discs, is this thing has to be avoided at all time? For a cosmetic looks drilled one looks a lot better but is this also dangerous in normal driving style?
swchoi

by jaybv6 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:26 pm

I am not too sure but I have heard stories of drilled discs cracking. Even the ceramic brake discs on Porsche GT2's crack and they are drilled.
jaybv6

by SteveU » Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:38 pm

Marky Mark used to get his kits from Vaux-MD anyway so you'd be better off going straight through them. I have their 284mm kit (Calipers, pads & discs) on my 16v and it has improved my stopping power no end. Even when I (eventually) drop a turbo in my car these brakes will be up to scratch. Well worth £195!!!!
SteveU