Bearing/hub replacement

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Air flow sensor mod?

by Dawson16v » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:45 pm

Some of you may have read that i was going to try and change the front bearing myself..

Well i ordered from a scrappies a driveshaft and hub assembly.. however they sent the whole suspension strut. Now ive seen the thing.. i have even less of an idea on how to change the hub/bearing!! :cry:

So anyone with advice would be really appreciated!! 8)
Dawson16v

by SteveU » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:21 pm

I'd just fit the strut they gave you as the chances are the bearing in that will be ok.
SteveU

by Dawson16v » Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:15 pm

OK so i have spent today changing over the strut.. (didnt do the driveshaft cos i couldn't get the old one out!!)

BUT the whirring noise is still there.. so is there any chance that it could be the cv joints.. if it isnt then what the hell could the noise be? I really am hoping that it isnt the Gearbox?!

Help!!! :cry:

Cheers!
Dawson16v

by SteveU » Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:32 pm

Is the noise exactly the same? I'd change the CV joint next for obvious reasons unless you've been incredibly unlucky and the bearing in the new strut is goosed as well. However if the noise IS exactly the same then I'd doubt it's the new bearing.
SteveU

by Stupink » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:04 pm

degrease then repack the CV.. if its screwed it wont fix it, but you should be able to hear a difference witherway if its there the noise is coming from [img]/smile.gif[/img] (dont forget to use CV grease [img]/wink.gif[/img] ) it might just cure the problem if its just running a bit dry or whatever.

I would just drop it into a garage though if not mate, you can be replacing things forever and it begins to cost a fortune after a while [img]/smile.gif[/img]
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Dawson16v » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:20 pm

The noise is exactly the same!! I will change the driveshaft next and cv joints.. if that doesnt work then i will admit defeat! :wink: To be honest i cant picture how the noise could be coming from the cv joints?

How do i get the driveshaft out of the dif housing then? I gave it a couple of hits with a long bar but that didn't work?!
Cheers for the help guys!
Dawson16v

by SprintV8 » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:22 pm

Easy way to check CV joint's.
Turn steering wheel on full lock and Drive (Making sure you not gonna hit anything) car slowly increasing speed if you hear a loud clicking it's the CV joint's also try the other lock for the other CV.
SprintV8

by Dawson16v » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:23 pm

Would a duf cv joint still make this noise i described while driving in a straight line though?
Dawson16v

by Dawson16v » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:58 pm

How do i get the driveshaft out of the dif housing? I gave it a couple of hits with a long bar but that didn't work?! Shouldn't it just pull out?
Dawson16v

by Stupink » Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:46 pm

no it wont pull out, there is a circlip inside, you need to put a breaker inbetween it and the casing and give it a sharp heafty tap, it should dislodge the circlip then it will just slide out..

It doesnt sound like a standard CV breaking down kinda noise, could be box bearing or something.. i have never heard cv's whine/grind, only clonk.. Its so hard to immagine things over here, an experienced mechanic should be able to tell what it is from hearing it when driving, surely you know a decent garage who can take a look at it for you? they shouldnt charge to just take it for a spin to diagnose..
Toyota Mr-2 roadster turbo
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net