Scrub with standard wheels...

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by noelboy » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:08 pm

I've got 15" standard Calibra wheels with standard tyres and for sum reason when im turning left (near full lock) the front left wheel makes a grinding noise. It's only been like this for about 3 months. I've checked around the wheel area but theres nothing near to foul it.
Any ideas?
noelboy

by jaybv6 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:02 pm

Welcome aboard Noelboy.

haev you lowered the car? If so by how much? What model is the car? 8v, 16v, V6, Turbs?

What tyres do you have on the front? believe it or not the wrong tyres/tyre pressure can acuse all sorts.
jaybv6

by Dave_GTi » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:05 pm

Just a thought, but are you sure it's a grinding noise and not just a noise from a knackered power steering pump??
Dave_GTi

by noelboy » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:20 pm

Its a '93 2.0 16v Redtop.
It's not been lowered and I think the tyres are 205/55/15 but I'll have to check that.
What does a knackerd pump sound like :-(
noelboy

My first posting on this great forum!!

by jaybv6 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:29 pm

What make of tyres are they though?

A knackered power steering rack/pump sounds like a load whining noise rather than a grinding noise. I should know as I have just replaced a rack on my V6 :wink:
jaybv6

by jaybv6 » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:24 pm

originally posted by Fraz but I messed up with splitting an irrelevant post to another topic.

<!--QuoteBegin-Fraz+--><div class='quotetop'>(Fraz)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->have you checked the anti roll bar drop link? it could be hitting the CV joint on full lock if the bolt has sheared ( a common problem)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
jaybv6

by noelboy » Wed Feb 11, 2004 8:07 pm

I had my roll bar sorted in decmeber because I was getting that knocking noise. I think the tyres are Firestones
noelboy

by Davidch » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:46 pm

Sounds strange why this is happening! Have u jacked the car up and gave the wheel a shake to see if there is any play in it.
Davidch

POST IN MOD FORUM ON CC

by noelboy » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:18 am

I'll try that at lunch today and let you know
noelboy