Desperate need for advice

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Desperate need for advice

by charliep1982 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:29 pm

Hi can anyone tell me what has happened to my v6.
Since purchase earlier this year, I have been doing tinkerings when finances and my beloved allow. So far have replaced alternator and started the audio visual install.
Now to the issue currently sending me potty. I have noticed a developing clunk from the front (possibly nearside) driveshaft area. When I bought the car I was told it had recently had new driveshafts on it so I doubt it is that. It could be a bush issue. But I am not 100% on this. It is quite a vicious crunch when braking in reverse and a general knock when travelling forward. I have recently discovered that the locating screw is missing from the brake disc but this should not be to much of an issue because the wheel bolts hold it all together (don't they?) Any ideas will be taken as gospel and will be checked thoroughly. If I can tell her indoors what it probably is then she will give me the chance to fix it otherwise i have been told it has to go. HELP ME!!!!
charliep1982

Re: Desperate need for advice

by Callyman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:32 pm

1st place i'd look is the wish bone bolt that go vertivally through the subframe, they have to be stupid tight.
Details on how to join the club---Click me
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by charliep1982 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:35 pm

Thanks will have a look at that first
charliep1982

by stevo turbo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:00 pm

also check for play in the anti roll bar bushes or drop links. just grab the bar and push back and forward + up and down. if you feel ANY klunking or knocking (in movement terms not sound) its one of the two. just see where the play is
Club Member
Club Member

by calibra_steve » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:15 am

could always be a gearbox mount as they make the sound travel aswell

as your driving along it will make stupid knoking noise and breaking hard the engin and box could be moving forward enough to hit somthing....
iv had that problem lol and it was my mount lol
calibra_steve

by v6 steve » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:27 pm

if the cv joints have been done i would check the hub nut as it has to be well tight, i would also do as Cally man has said the subframe bolts have a way of working loss best put some lock tight on them
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by MarkV6 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:29 pm

charliep1982 wrote:I have noticed a developing clunk from the front (possibly nearside) driveshaft area. When I bought the car I was told it had recently had new driveshafts on it so I doubt it is that. It could be a bush issue. But I am not 100% on this. It is quite a vicious crunch when braking in reverse and a general knock when travelling forward. I have recently discovered that the locating screw is missing from the brake disc but this should not be to much of an issue because the wheel bolts hold it all together (don't they?) Any ideas will be taken as gospel and will be checked thoroughly. If I can tell her indoors what it probably is then she will give me the chance to fix it otherwise i have been told it has to go. HELP ME!!!!

charliep1982 wrote:It is quite a vicious crunch when braking in reverse and a general knock when travelling forward.

what sort of speed are we talking about here? direction of travel? straight or curve? constant knock, random, or depends on road speed? severity of bumps?

So to recap all answers at the moment (plus some extra).....

check the lower arm ball joint to strut,
track rod end to strut,
driveshaft nut to hub,
antiroll bar drop link to lower arm,
upper strut bearing (suspension turret) jack up the car to check the spring isn't broken too,
all three subframe bolts on the passenger side,
brake caliper bolts (10mm allen key)
brake caliper sliders (7mm allen key)
brake disc securing bolt (yes I know its missing but put one in to be sure)
front gearbox mount to chassis leg (bolts into g/box and chassis leg)

If all those bolts are (F) tight the you'll have to start looking for worn rubber mounts
I used to own this Calibra...
I now own this one.

Xbox live gamertag IcedSage
PS3 PS4 network gamertag Calibra-Madman
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by charliep1982 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:16 pm

In forward gear it is a constant knock more noticeable on decelleration.
In reverse when braking from any speed it is quite a bang
charliep1982

by v6 steve » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:23 pm

have you checked the stuff that we have already said? it might be worth looking at the torsion bar its on the left hand side of the engine just under the air intake pipe, it joins the engine to the inner wing and stops the engine from pulling back under accelartion
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by charliep1982 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:35 am

Unfortunately due to my baby being unwell I have not had opportunity to check it yet. I am planning to look tonight weather permitting
charliep1982

by MarkSE7 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:35 pm

It'll probably be the lower arm bush has seperated at the back of the arm where it bolts into the subframe.
It'll constantly knock while driving and make a cracking noise when pulling away and braking. Stick a new arm on it.
Mine has had a new arm in the last 18 months or so but the bush in it has come adrift and I get the same noises.
MarkSE7

by charliep1982 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:01 pm

FOUND IT!!!!!

I have got to say I was mortified. The previous owner either took this car to a total cowboy or was a poor DIYer the bottom retaining bolt on the nearside caliper is completely missing plus the brake disc has about 8mm of play any ideas where I can get cheap replacement parts for it?
charliep1982

by Callyman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:06 pm

when you say 8mm of play, what do you mean?
Details on how to join the club---Click me
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by charliep1982 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:00 pm

I figured that out it was just where the disc locating screw isabsent the disc is loose on the hub
charliep1982

by BazV6er » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:47 am

so you only have the one screw from the caliper holding onto the brake disc , i guess that would make a loud clanging noise and probably work the top bolt loose .
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net