Donut bushes

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Donut bushes

by Robs Calibra » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:43 am

Hi Rich

I hope you are well. We met at Santa Pod I think in 2008 or 2009. I owned the Calibra Turbo Le 18. I have had a lot of work done over the last year and have spent a lot of time and money on the car. Hoping to get this featured in Total Vauxhall soon. I am just sorting the suspension out. I am running Bilsteins with PI Lowered 30 springs. However, I am changing the setup as I dont think the shocks at the back are working as they should. Do you or anybody else know what is best out of the below setup:

Eibach Springs (lowered -30mm) all round with either Bilstein B4 or B6 shocks
PI Springs (lowered -30mm) all round with Bilstein B4 or B6 Shocks
Eibach Springs (lowered -30mm) all round with either Koni Adjustable shocks
PI Springs (lowered -30mm) all round with Koni Adjustable shocks

I dont know what model Bilstein shocks come standard on the calibra turbo le. Do you know or have a model number? I thought PI springs came standard for the Calibra Turbo LE, did not realise it was Irmscher as my front springs are PI. I am not sure of the back, will be either PI or Irmscher I guess.

What confuses me is that Bilstein B6 shocks state that they are not suitable for lowered springs. So they are suitable for Calibra 4x4 Turbo, but is does not state the LE model that of course is lowered by -30mm.

Shame to see what you have done to yours as it was very nice.

Any advise would be great.
Cheers
Rob
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Calibra LE 4x4 shell for sale

by v6 steve » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:07 pm

hi mine isnt a Le but iv got eibach springs lowered 30mm and bilsteins around and have no problems, have you changed you rear donut bushes, not many do change them but you wont believe the difference it will make
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Robs Calibra » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:14 pm

v6 steve wrote:hi mine isnt a Le but iv got eibach springs lowered 30mm and bilsteins around and have no problems, have you changed you rear donut bushes, not many do change them but you wont believe the difference it will make

Hi Steve

I have the full Powerflex Poly bushes all round. The front of the car is pretty solid when you push on the bonnet, but when you push on the back is quite bouncy. Surely it should be as stiff as front so I think the shocks have leaked.

I was thinking Eiback springs all round, just not sure on what Bilsteins, B4, B6. They do a B8, but dont think its compatible. Are PI Springs any good as I have just had new PI Springs fitted on front for MOT. Just not sure if I want to keep them. Thinking of sorting the rear first before the front. Is it uncommon to have Eibach springs at back with PI at front?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by v6 steve » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:49 pm

i dont know about PI springs but i would have thought it would be best to keep the same as round, as for the shocks it will depend on what your using the car for iv fast road shocks on not sure which B number they are tho. You said you have done poly bushes all round but have you done the donut bush ?
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Robs Calibra » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:40 pm

v6 steve wrote:i dont know about PI springs but i would have thought it would be best to keep the same as round, as for the shocks it will depend on what your using the car for iv fast road shocks on not sure which B number they are tho. You said you have done poly bushes all round but have you done the donut bush ?

hi

Not sure what you mean by donut bush. I will do it though if I havent. Do you have any links to what it looks like or how much it is. I bought the full powerflex kit and had all that fitted, so not sure if it would have come with it.

What does the Donut bush do?

I think fast road shocks OE Bilstein are B4. B6 is a sports shock I believe. Just not sure what ones to go for. i want both comfort and great handling. I think the B6 shock maybe the better for this. Hard to tell without asking people that have them though.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by v6 steve » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:49 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OPEL-CALIBRA-90-9 ... 43a110ef43
this is one there are 2 of them if you look under the car at the rear you will see two round metal plates, you need to suport the axel then remove this plate and bolt lower the axel and use a claw hammer to pull out old bush then push in new one and put back together youll get them cheaper if you look around
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Robs Calibra » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:15 pm

v6 steve wrote:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OPEL-CALIBRA-90-97-REAR-CROSS-MEMBER-BUSH-OE-QUALITY-/290465050435?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a110ef43
this is one there are 2 of them if you look under the car at the rear you will see two round metal plates, you need to suport the axel then remove this plate and bolt lower the axel and use a claw hammer to pull out old bush then push in new one and put back together youll get them cheaper if you look around

Cheers Steve, what does that bush actually do? I def had powerflex bushed the whole car, but cannot seem to remember this so guess its not been done. Will look around see if I can get it cheaper.

Is it one bush or is there Two? I bought this kit
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/POWERFLEX-SUSPENS ... 483badd8c2

Cant see it mentioned in this.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Re: Donut bushes

by v6 steve » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:47 pm

its none of them mate its on the rear axle at point 2

steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Robs Calibra » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:27 pm

Either way I will get it done Steve. I take it these 2 - one on each axle?

I seriously cannot decide on bilstein b6 shocks all round with eibach springs (£612)
or
Koni Adjustable Shocks and springa all round (£470)
http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?p=2617248&a=i

Must be -30mm

Such a hard decision. What do you suggest Steve?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by v6 steve » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:32 pm

that seems a lot for billys i cant see past mine but at that price Koni's look good
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:49 pm

The bilstein shocks we have all used is the B4 front is PNE-3052 rear BNE-1975 I think that is the correct numbers

they say B4 OE Shocks but they are stiffer than normal OE shocks and work well, as for the springs I would say Apex is a good choice, as is Koni and HR Eibach as well but its all down to price
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Robs Calibra » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:55 pm

Fraz wrote:The bilstein shocks we have all used is the B4 front is PNE-3052 rear BNE-1975 I think that is the correct numbers

they say B4 OE Shocks but they are stiffer than normal OE shocks and work well, as for the springs I would say Apex is a good choice, as is Koni and HR Eibach as well but its all down to price

So would you say the B4 are better than the B6?
The B6 is supposed to be a sport shock.

I cant see the B6 any cheaper than Larkspeed. Sold seperately over Koni (comes as a kit)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:01 pm

better for what?? you going to do be going round tracks a lot? or just going on the roads

if your going to be on a track a lot then yes the B6 would be better, but if all your going to be doing is going round corners on the road the B4's work very good. If your flush then buy the B6's though I doubt you will ever notice the difference between the two on a normal road ...other than your wallets is lighter
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Robs Calibra » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:09 pm

Hi
Many thanks. I have certainly decided on Bilsteins now after further reading. Its a hard choice. I may do 1 track, but in general i want comfort as well as very good handling if taking corners quick i.e say in country lanes. The B4's are a lot cheaper though i see, and i am thinking if not much different would this be the better choice.

So really B6 are mainly for track would you say. Fast cornering on normal roads, you would say B4 is better and more comfort drive?
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Robs Calibra » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:20 pm

I was thinking of B6 at the back and B4 at the front. Would this work good? All best to have all round the same?

I am trying to find Eibach springs for Calibra Turbo 4x4 LE, but cannot. Ebay have these below for £202 (not sure if this is a good price), however they are only -25mm and I think I need -30mm. I think the Calibra Turbo LE were lowered -30mm.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EIBACH-SPRINGS-Va ... 5d26b20080

I have just found these on LMF http://www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk/Eibach-Pro ... libra.html
Again they are stating -25mm for Calibra Turbo 4x4 Model number 6518.240-NF

Is this what you have Steve?
Last edited by Robs Calibra on Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

Next