anyone bought these? discs

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

Re: anyone bought these? discs

by v6 steve » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:38 pm

Vxlgsi wrote:standard pads are better than green stuff

std pads are only better till the disc heats up then the green stuff will out do it hands down, green stuff can take a lot more heat than std ones can, now iv got video of my pads somking and part of the video showing how bad the brake fad was, my older not as good looking brother used to race at knockhill and used red and green stuff pads and never once had them smoke, he did say that red stuff are very scary when there cold so never used them on the road but found the green stuff the better
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Fraz » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:15 pm

why people say standard are better, is that for the greenstuff pads (Or similar) to work as effectively in normal road use ...they have to get hotter than standard pads, thus they are not as effective ......but that is in normal everyday driving, if your going to rag it a bit then you need hotter pads, but if you just drive to work and back then standard pads will be better over them as they won't be getting to the temp they require to work effectively

there was a big debate ages ago about that with (IIRC) Manfred and JohnA (they old regulars know who they are) saying standard would be batter for everyday use and only need greenstuff pads for track days etc
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by v6 steve » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:19 pm

isnt that kind of what i said, and as for the way Ally and I drive the pads will be hot pritty quickly :whistle:
steve
Chairman

The Drain

LE 4x4 turbo

SE2 4x4 turbo RIP
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Allys Cally » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:45 pm

this is the reason for me wanting better brakes as i dont drive like fecking Miss Daisy everyday back and forth to my work. and if i need my car to pull up quickly i want to make sure it has the equipment to do it, and hope that the car in front isn't needed as a 3rd brake :mrgreen:
BETTER TO HAVE A CALIBRA AND NOT NEED ONE, THAN NEED A CALIBRA AND NOT HAVE ONE!!!

BEST STANDARD BILLING 2009 CO-OWNER
BEST STANDARD BILLING 2011 CO-OWNER
BEST PRESENTED BILLING 2012
BEST ENGINE BAY BILLING 2015
Chairmans Choice - Scottish Car Show 2016
BEST INTERIOR VBOA 2017
BEST IN SHOW VBOA 2018
VBOA CHAIRMAN CUP 2018
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by Robs Calibra » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:29 am

I have tarox 6 pot calipers at front with tarox pads and mtec at back with mintex pads and works well. I have mtec and mintex pads all round on zafira gsi which again is great. For disc wise if I were to buy again it would be Rossi. Best looking disc I seen and name is grooved on disc. They look the nuts and read great reviews on these.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Mark1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:52 am

Had the Rossi on an XR3i years ago and they where good.
Mark...........It's Red........It's a V6............It's an SE9!..............and She's bad.
Mark1@clubcalibra.net

ClubCalibra Best Presented 2006
ClubCalibra Best Presented 2010
ClubCalibra Best Interior 2011

My Garage
Club Treasurer
Club Treasurer

by Vxlgsi » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:16 pm

Allys Cally wrote:this is the reason for me wanting better brakes as i dont drive like fecking Miss Daisy everyday back and forth to my work. and if i need my car to pull up quickly i want to make sure it has the equipment to do it, and hope that the car in front isn't needed as a 3rd brake :mrgreen:

If you really want good brakes then upgrade them, i went upto 300mm on my old astra gsi, and also have them on my corsa turb and the difference is night and day. also get them pressure bled, makes a huge difference.

Ill be putting some on my calibra soon aswell as the ~OE ones are warped :(

drilled disks yes, grooved disks are a waste of money and make a noise when you brake. imo.
Vxlgsi

by MarkV6 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:26 pm

Allys Cally wrote:the fact that my standard pads heat up and fade very quickly under heavy braking is the main reason for going with a better pad.

When was the last time you changed the brake fluid?

If you're running XX yr old brake fluid it'll make a hell of a difference bleeding through with new stuff

DOT 4.1 mind, as 5.1 synth won't lubricate the abs system

An if you want to read up on brake fade
http://www.carbibles.com/brake_bible.html
Just clicky and read...... thx
I used to own this Calibra...
I now own this one.

Xbox live gamertag IcedSage
PS3 PS4 network gamertag Calibra-Madman
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

Previous