SAMARAI's 1995 Opel Calibra 16v Ecotec ;)

Show off your Projects here, the link for the garage is at the top of the page for showcasing your car

Re: SAMARAI's 1995 Opel Calibra 16v Ecotec ;)

by SAMARAI » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:14 pm

Meet the new horse! It's going to be my daily and for the price I can't complain at all
My 1989 Mercedes-Benz 230
Love it more and more! It's no calibra but by gosh is this too clean for its age not a dent or scratch in sight!
A very good barn find!

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by craigyboy » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:02 pm

Smart looking car mate.Now that you have the Merc you can spend a
bit of time fixing the Calibra.
craig

Best Presented Billing 2011
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:25 pm

Thanks buddy.
Oh exactly.. I wouldn't want to rush fixing the cali. But I'm now thinking for it to be my project car to fix down the track!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:34 pm

MY CALIBRA IS OFFICIALLY BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!! <3 <3 <3 :') :') :')
Big Update time!

3 months of it being dead under covers and now that its back I'm in love all over again!

So I found after 2 months my parents convinced me to get it back on the road again. I had no intention of doing it till I was 40 or so hahaa

(My two beasts) <3 + note mum put a chrome tip on the exhaust of the benz without consulting on the way home from when I picked up the cali. She told me she was getting groceries hahaa I swear mum is worse than me sometimes)

(The very first time I saw my calibra when it was ready to be driven out with its new engine in place.)

She needed a new engine dropped in because the old one shat itself in the bottom end.
So a bout 2 months in $700 later I found one @ 105,000kms on the clock.
I paid $700 labour at the mechanics that had the engine but they swapped engines for me, fitted a new clutch, waterpump and timing belt and a radiator flush.
My parents shouted me the $700 so the rest totaled me to $1500 which I'm stoked about! The labour was given a 3 month warranty which is part of the reason my parents wanted me to go with that option even though my Adelaide Opel mates were happy to jump over and help with the engine swaps.

She feels like a brand new car again especially with the feeling of the new clutch and Im convinced the new engine (even though its exactly the same X20xev model) has more torque.

Altho the Cali is no Merc :c In one sense I miss the Merc's refinedness and class. I miss its Ironing out of all imperfections on the road and its comfy seats but that car is for cruising long distances. The Cali will be my daily run around. I love it because its different to most cars on the road and most people don't know what they are because they are so rare these days. The 2 door, very streamlined look I love and the bass in that car from its sound system I installed made me smile everytime.. and so did its muffler.
Now speaking of the Merc my mum is using it as her daily as she doesn't have a car. So im glad that it will be driven on the odd occasion that mum goes out so I know it won't rust into the ground at the back of the driveway.

Anyways Glad to have the cali back but Im now faced with having to mod her up again. As I said earlier I wasn't planning on resurrecting the cali so soon.. I had taken out my whole sound system and LED's.

TO DO LIST:
-5000k HID's (my last set one of the HID globes blew before the car broke down. I had 6000k last time.. a bit too blue for my liking)
-Need to install LED strips in footwells and under doors (This will be for the second time as I took all the strips out and installed them into the benz)
-Headunit (New one Installed)
-Front 6" speakers (old ones are still there but the cali has a leak in the door window sills somewhere and the back of my front door speakers were rusted in patches.. new speakers bought yet to install)
-Rear 6x9's (Took old ones out and put in the sister's camry but that was before the cali was back on the road so I'm currently using my sister's old clarion 6x9's.. temporary till I buy another set of Type S Alpine 6x9's)
-Need to find another sub (since the active sub I had in the cali.. its amp broke down so need to find a replacement as the replacement for the active sub Autobahn gave me was a bigger active sub that resides in the Benz) problem with subs in the cali is the boot aint very deep so will be trial and error to see what fits. So sad without my bass.
-Bought a spare front bar. Will be transplanting all the good bits onto it as my current one has a bit of annoying previous damage.
-Need to order chrome plated indicator bulbs for the angel eyes that flash amber
-Need to Gloss spray the third brake light cover.

Thats it for now guys and gals. The Cali is back better than ever and Im keen for more mods to get her back up to scratch!

Cheers for reading.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by EddeyDancer » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:20 pm

I'm very happy for you Amigo...

Scoring a 105Km Motor, was a Bonus, and for what it's cost you, you're Winning...

I say get the car looking Peak, and leave the sound system at bottom priority... :wink:

Also share the load between both cars, or use the Calibra for more selective occasions...
The Ghost - V6 Opel
'Calibra with Style'
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:43 am

EddeyDancer wrote:I'm very happy for you Amigo...

Scoring a 105Km Motor, was a Bonus, and for what it's cost you, you're Winning...

I say get the car looking Peak, and leave the sound system at bottom priority... :wink:

Also share the load between both cars, or use the Calibra for more selective occasions...

Cheers amigo! yes the 105Km motors was such a gold moment when I found it.

for me my sound system is a must, I enjoy my tunes too much :P
But getting it looking tip top exterior is a must too. I bought a spare front bumper the other day. biggest damage is on the front bar currently will be fixing that soon.

The calibra will be my daily car, the Benz is mums daily so atleast its getting driven and loved too :P
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:00 pm

Update!

So the cali is back on the road after needing new Valve stem seals. No more smoke emitting from the exhaust! yayy!

Here are a few pics the arvo that I got it home two days ago. Straight after a wash! Upon washing I really can notice it needs a good polish!

As she stands! 07/03/14

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recently got a hold of another bumper. Mostly because there is some previous damage on my current one and even though I fiber glassed it and painted it it started to crack and show again so onto the new bumper we go. I will need to transplant some goodies and also it could use a good polish. But it will be worth it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Do List:

-Sub + amp
-Tint (Old one faded so need a new set. Will go to the same dude that tinted my Merc)
-5000k HID's (Old set blew and wasn't reliable anyway)
-White LED strips for footwells under door courtesy lighting.
-White LED bulbs throughout the car again.
-Fix new bumper (I need to research how the bumper strips come off as the strips on my current bumper are in better knick than the ones on the new bumper. The new bumper also needs a very good polish)

To Do Eventually List:
-New Rotors all round.
-Fix the raspy exhaust.. really annoys me. (I have a muffler on it but after 3000rpm it gets very tinny and ***** a sound)

Thanks for reading guys and gals.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by EddeyDancer » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:21 am

The you'll need to modify the V-Grille to fit it on that replacement bumper...
The Ghost - V6 Opel
'Calibra with Style'
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by DanSE4 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:08 pm

SAMARAI wrote:-Fix new bumper (I need to research how the bumper strips come off as the strips on my current bumper are in better knick than the ones on the new bumper..

Look behind the bumper. You'll see where the tabs on the rear of the bump strips go through it & are held in place with round, metal clips.
Calibra SE4 3.2 V6 + F28

A Couple of German Cars!
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:56 am

Lads to start off, I wont be adding the v grille to the new bumper. I want the clean look for a change and down the track I may put the v grille on. for a different look I want to roll without it for now.

Cheers Dan but I don't have time at the present moment to get hands on with the new bumper. damn study and work! hahah
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:50 am

After 2 weeks of waiting for my mechanics to fix the coolant leak, my cali is back on the road stronger than ever! :') but I do have to fix the slightly seeping oil from the edges of the rocker cover (Me thinks a sealant glue again like last time.. Last year I used something similar and it held for about a year might have to do the same.. the mechanics had used an aftermarket cover gasket and it isn't holding the oil in)

But anyways, here's a few pics of my recent progress.
- Orange bulbs to Chrome plated that flash amber for moar stealth and style.. the orange bulbs were a sore eye for me :c muuuch better now!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

-------------------------------------------------

Installed my 12" Kicker Slimline sub and Amp - Im in love with my bass!! I used to have a US Audio active sub.. but this s***s all over it and I haven't even worn it in properly xD

The sub I bought it because it fits perfectly under the parcel shelf and behind the spare wheel that pokes out from the floor.
I didn't want anything that will overkill so one sub is plenty for me.. enough to give me a bass that will make me smile and my passnegers smile like giddy kids xD
-------------------------------------------------

One of my globes in my Calibra Aussie edition third brake light burnt out so today I was trying to see how it comes off and what globes they use. I haven't looked into this much yet but I hear through my mate Eddey that there are two screws coming out from the bottom. Might need to spend some time in the holidays sussing this out and I want to upgrade to an LED strip if possible/Easy enough.

----------------------------------------------------

Finally this is how she stood last night at my mates house. I parked to get out and go then saw the sunset reflection and just had to take a snap or 5 :P

--------------------------------------------------
BONUS!

I got spotted by a fellow MCM member and after they posted it on our facebook group another member went and photochopped it!
I can't help but drool over how good it looks (might be a tad low for practicality) but this has given me a dream to one day lower my cali.. gotta convince my parents tho :P

BEFORE:

AFTER:

IT LOOKS SOO STREAMLINED ARGHHH :')

-----------------------------------------------

Just a few more shots for good measure (aka im inlove with my car all over again now that is is back!)

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Gargi » Mon May 05, 2014 11:09 am

remove that stop light from trunk please. :pray:
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by SAMARAI » Mon May 05, 2014 12:29 pm

Gargi wrote:remove that stop light from trunk please. :pray:

hey mate, in Australia those brake lights on the boot are required by law and put the from factory in Australia but I wish they were inside the window. Oh well
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Gargi » Mon May 05, 2014 8:24 pm

wtf???Law is law....hahah,its ugly but....if must then must.
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by EddeyDancer » Mon May 05, 2014 9:16 pm

The middle brake light is good...
The Ghost - V6 Opel
'Calibra with Style'
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

PreviousNext