Not feeling the power from my turbo!

Re: Not feeling the power from my turbo!

by Richiem » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:38 pm

Club Member
Club Member

by Callyman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:40 pm

Yep that's cracked but wont explain the smell.
In fact the crack doesn't look big enough to affect the seal that much, your main problem is the actuator is shot mate.
Details on how to join the club---Click me
Club Memberships
Club Memberships

by Richiem » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:47 pm

More puzzled by the lack of power in getting Andy! Getting no turbo pull and the car is driving like theres no boost at all??
The boost gauge is showing 10psi tho! Took my buddies standard le turbo out yesterday and its a hell of a lot quicker than my car.
Made mine feel like a 1.4 astra
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:49 pm

Andy, is it normall to find the flap on the valve reallly loose bud?? Cant say i remember myself. feels ready to fall off. Also noticiced theres some play in the shaft of the turbo. Not a big amount but i could move it from side to side a bit.
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:08 am

Just read this post on migweb and it sounds almost exactly like my cars problem??
http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engines- ... -idle.html
Wondering about vacuum leak now on intercooler section.
Was mentioned above im sure but this post makes me think its to simular..
Im interested in the smoke machine idea the guy used?
Anyone done this before??
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:12 am

Plugs look good, only changed recently and im using standard turbo plugs from vauxhall.
Look a nice light brown coloured! Injectors all cleaned and tested only 4 months ago.
On start up , she runs really crap when cold outside and normally stalls the first 2 attempts and then starts with a cloud of dark smoke from exhaust .
The guy in that post also had that and he said his valve stem seals were knackered and letting oil through during the night and this was causing the ify start and the cloud of oil ( burning off)
Also his was also running lean on start up which also was causing the crappy starting! He found this was caused by a vacuum leak on the inlet side and a huge leak in the intercooler >
Said this was because the car was seeing correct air at afm but then not getting it at the inlet side causing the car to run lean were confused??
He also had a slight issue with the timing set up were the teeth were out by a tiny amount!
Im wondering if my running problems are on a simular basis.
Ive had most of these parts of a few times recently including all the boost pipes/ vacuum pipes / Ive had the head rebuilt including the valves. and also had the timing belt replaced!!
Seems to match up if it makes sense??
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:23 pm

Cold compression test coming later today! ( if my buddie gets back in time from work) Thinking it s a good starting point!
Got a new lambda sensor here now and another actuator, and still trying to find another turbo elbow! This seems to be a hard part to source!
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:24 pm

will post up results when done
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:38 pm

took that idea and got the old sensor out which was a mare as had to use oxy torch to heat it up enough to budge it.
Luckily , the thread wasnt to knackered and i save it using this nice cheap tool from machine mart for a fiver!
Now got new sensor fitted in the elbow and no longer need to search for a replacent elbow..
Just got to fiqure out now if i should bother getting the thread re cut in the turbo for were the cross threaded 11mm elbow bolt was also jammed in! Managed to remove the cast bolt which was actually bent but had to drill it out as it would not remove with easy out tool as totally siezed in place. Got no thread in there now so can either fit nut and bolt in place ( which i think will be crap option) or try and re thread it so i can make as it was!! Dont really want to nut and bolt it as its the top bolt and i think it will look bodged!
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:23 pm

Made some progress on the way to solving the power issues. Seems my actuator was deffo worn quite badly, Ive replaced with another unit and only another standard unit ( lack of funds tbh due to christmas coming) but this unit was a known good working one and already i can see a big difference in the tightness of it when fitted ( hoping this shows the actuator might of been a big part of my problems) I can always upgrade later and i am only running standard boost.
Also got rather luck with sorting the snapped of elbow bolt as i managed to remove the old bit and re thread the manifold and fix another bolt in place. Have also got the new lambda sensor in place and im just waiting for a turbo elbow gasket to arrive so i can fit it all back on.
Still waiting for the compression tester to arrive and hoping that this test comes back good. No really up for engine problems right now after already just having the head rebuilt.. Piston problems or leaking valve stem seals will put me back for some time. Fingers crossed in just over thing this whole problem!!
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:22 pm

Right , quite happy right now as ive sorted the power problem completely! Must of been a combo of the car running better with new lambda sensor ( think the other one wasnt working right ) . Car now starts on the turn and no rough running on cold.
Also sure actuator was duff as this one is tighter and no squeeking. and maybe ive somehow sorted a vacuum issue!
Guess ill never really know exactly but just took for a run and lots more pull and i can now here the turbo spooling up. Also hitting limiter which i couldnt do before so next job is to turn back the actuator to correct this!
Different car now tho. Just need to address the oil loss and im sorted 100% Now need to fit new tyres so i can switch back on the 4x4 as the fronts are spinning out :obscene-drinkingbeer:
Not putting it back on till i get the old tyres of it she came with as they are a bit mix and match and that wont do!
Club Member
Club Member

by Richiem » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:05 pm

Ive just found the cause of the burning eyes when im driving and in the seat! I found by chance a tidy fuel leak on the join under the drivers footwell underneath the car were it goes from metal to hose. Was quite bad! Any there was me thinking it was buring oil LOL
Club Member
Club Member

PreviousNext