Remote Central Locking conversion.

Any electrical issues

Re: Remote Central Locking conversion.

by Cliff » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:34 pm

Pinner-man wrote:Hi Andrew

Its Pinner-man. I am afraid, I have not got any further with my upgrade. Almost as soon as I got back from holiday I got a chest infection and spent a couple of days in hospital being pumped full of antibiotics, I am recovering quite well but it may be a few days before I can get back to working on the car. I will say that suggesting I check the colour coding of the connector to the remote receiver was good point. They use BLACK as the 0v or earth not BROWN.

Regards
Pinner-man

Hiya! Really sorry to hear you're not feeling too good, hope you can shift the infection - they have a habit of hanging on :-( - fingers crossed that you're over the worst though it sounds quite serious.

As for the loom - yes... I don't know if it's all old cars - could imagine it is, but I know they switched loom colours on old versus later models and mistakes are not entirely unheard of. A meter check is the best way to be sure you're hooking up the right things.

Get well soon and let me know if you want some more input once you feel well enough to dig in again.

Andrew
Site Admin
Site Admin

by BigDaz » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:04 pm

If it helps pinner man my wiring went as following car central locking ecu colours
12v live was red
Earth wad black
Lock was brown with red stripe
Unlock was brown with white stripe
My car is a 92 model but i think they just put in any old wiring at the factory as this did not match haynes

Sent from my Galaxy S6 Edge using tapatalk
'Once Driven Forever Smitten'

Silver 1992 C2OXE CALLY (Weekend use only)

Se2 1994 C20XE CALLY (On Going Project)

Red 1991 SRI C20XE CAVVY (Been Stored Since 2008)

Red 2016 Insignia VX Line (Daily Driver)
ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Pinner-man » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:19 pm

Hi Everyone

I am pleased to say I am back on the case. I have wired up the unit as per all the instructions and I am VERY pleased to say it works perfectly, the range is also good at least 10 yards - thanks very much for your help. Before I complete the installation, I have seen comments about how the system can be wired so that the indicators flash as the system locks and unlocks. It would be a nice finishing touch, can you give me any information on how this can be done.

Regards
Pinner-man
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by Cliff » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:20 am

Pinner-man wrote:Hi Everyone

I am pleased to say I am back on the case. I have wired up the unit as per all the instructions and I am VERY pleased to say it works perfectly, the range is also good at least 10 yards - thanks very much for your help. Before I complete the installation, I have seen comments about how the system can be wired so that the indicators flash as the system locks and unlocks. It would be a nice finishing touch, can you give me any information on how this can be done.

Regards
Pinner-man

Fantastic news, well done you!! For the flashers the central locking unit will need to have the relevant control circuit - I looked back at the attachment (post number 18) you added but that seemed to be a page 5, only covering the locking possibilities. Were there other pages? Perhaps showing the remaining connections?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

by Pinner-man » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:59 am

Hi

Please see attached the connection diagram of the central locking unit. It does show two Brown wires connected to the Direction lights which I assume are the indicators. Can one of these wires be connected to the indicator system.

Regards
Pinner-man
Attachments
Scan_20160925.pdf
(489.27 KiB) Downloaded 829 times
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by Cliff » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:07 pm

Yes it can - copied from above : you can find the indicator wiring in the car without going to the engine bay though not at the locking ECU (I don't believe). Wire colours you're looking for are mostly black with a white stripe (L) and mostly black with a green stripe (R) - should be relatively easy to locate from the shroud around the steering wheel and the loom running down from there. Connect one brown to one, the other to the other. Hope that helps!

Site Admin
Site Admin

by BigDaz » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:13 pm

Hope this helps

stalk pic.jpg

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Pinner-man » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:33 am

Hi

Just a thought, would it be possible to run a wire to the hazard warning light switch to operate the indicators. Presumably the switch applies +12v to the indicator system. If the brown wire applies a +12v pulse for a short period the indicators would flash.

Regards
Pinner -man
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by Cliff » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:12 am

Possibly, haven't done it that way myself - would have thought the wiring might be a challenge to get access to but you can of course locate it in the loom (not sure which side). I don't have the wiring diagrams to hand so can't confirm which colour you'd need to tap into.

Site Admin
Site Admin

by Pinner-man » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:38 pm

Hi

You are right, it is impossible to connect to the indicator wiring from behind the hazard warning switch - the wiring is completely hidden by the dashboard moulding behind the switch. As suggested I have removed the plastic casing behind the steering. I can see the wiring connecting to the indicator switch, are plugs used to make the connection or are they hard wired. I have tried pulling the what looks like a plug off the switch but it will not move. I do not want to pull too hard in case I break something.
How did you get access to the indicator wiring.

Regards
Pinner-man
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

Remote Central Locking conversion.

by Cliff » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:18 pm

The switches do come off but I don't think that will help you, better to separate the loom running down the column and find the colours needed then splice your connections in. Maybe Daz can recommend/suggest an alternative though.

Site Admin
Site Admin

by BigDaz » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:30 pm

if you unscrew your fuse box in the drivers foot well and let it hang down you should be able to see the rear of the steering column if you look up be hide the dash the bit of loom you are looking for is tucked up on top left corner should be able to follow the loom back to the stalk to be sure it correct part of the loom you are about to cut into to get good access i was lying on my back in the foot well lol which is something i do not recommend if you have a bad back but it did make the job easier i hope this helps pinner man

Regards
Darren

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Pinner-man » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:59 pm

Hi Everybody

I am very very pleased to say that I have completed the remote locking system on the car - including flashing indicators when the system locks and unlocks. To access the indicator wires I removed the plastic covers around the base of the steering wheel. I was then able to get to the connectors on the rear of the indicator switch and splice into the Black/white and Black/green wires, I also removed the fuse box cover in order to route the wiring to the Remote control unit. All that now remains is that I have to put all the panels back in place and tidy up the cabling. I would like to thank everyone for their help. I could not have worked out the wiring systems and identified the correct wires to connect to without the help. Thanks a lot, a great advantage to be a member of the Club-Calibra.

Regards
Pinner-man
Gold Club Member
Gold Club Member

by BigDaz » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:37 pm

Glad you got it sorted it out bud :clap: :clap: :clap:

ClubCalibra.net
ClubCalibra.net

by Cliff » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:16 am

Well done Pinner-man - great news !

Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext