ABS sensitive at slow speeds

Any issues relating to suspension, steering and brakes.

by wolfy » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:35 pm

hey people,

car booked in to a garage (in 4 weeks!) to look at the abs.

at slow speeds it seems to kick in when it doesnt need to (especially when cold) and sometimes (only occasionally and when cold) the ABS light comes on when i go round a roundabout and wont go out untill irestart the car... :?

any ideas anyone?

cheers for any help

J
wolfy

by vauxhallman » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:40 pm

Mine's the same at slow speeds, seems to cut in way to early and it's not the first Vx I've had that's been like it either ! Not sure if it is a problem or not.

The ABS light could well be a loose connection on a wheel sensor, especially as it activates when cornering. Hope you get it fixed mate.
vauxhallman

by Leigh » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:31 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-vauxhallman+--><div class='quotetop'>(vauxhallman)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The ABS light could well be a loose connection on a wheel sensor, especially as it activates when cornering. Hope you get it fixed mate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Mine occasionsaly does that as well, and come to think of it the last time it happened was a few weeks ago, just after I came off a roundabout while having a nice sunday evening drive on the quiet backroads near my work.

Normally I pull over and switch off ,then back on, but that time I thought I'd leave it for a while to see if it stored a fault code, but when I checked this weekend there were none stored.... do they stay logged on the ECU indefinitely until the battery is disconnected?
Leigh

by Robert_Dale » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:17 pm

This happened on my Au*i.

Would kick in the ABS when I slowed down at traffic lights - it sounded horrible and also made it really hard to break.

What was go is that on the dash was an ABS button that I could press and turn the ABS off WEIRD EH???

Still I managed to disable the abs by going in the engine bay and then opening the abs part and pull ALL the relays out - thus the abs disabled constantly (only cos the button broke so maybe don't do this eh!!! although it did work).

Anyhow took it to a garage and they said I needed new relays - put new ones in and prob sorted.

You can disable to ABs via the fuses can't you??

Try that [img]/smile.gif[/img]
Robert_Dale

by SteveU » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:55 pm

Callys & Cavs suffer from the ABS sensor brackets corroding causing the sensor to become too close to the inductor ring on the CV joint. Always seems to be the passenger front sensor too.

Easy way to check is to take the wheel off and have a look at the sensor. If you can't even get a rizla paper in the gap between the sensor and the toothed cog (inductor ring) then you know that's you're problem. If it's touching the wheel itself then you may need a new sensor aswell as a bracket as it's probably worn away the tip of the sensor. Oh and make sure you get a new bolt with the bracket and they nearly always round off/snap.
SteveU